How Can Certified Translation Help You in Getting a Place at University?

Applying to study abroad can be quite stressful. With high-quality certified translation getting your documents ready will be one less thing to worry about.

Do you want to study in Switzerland? Congratulations! Great decision. However, there’s one important thing you need to do before applying. That’s getting your documents ready and translated by a sworn translator. We understand that it can be an overwhelming process. Just stick with us and we’ll show you that certified translation is nothing to be worried about.

What Is the Difference Between a ‘Regular’ Translation and a Certified Translation?

Almost anyone can do a regular (uncertified) translation. Certified translation is done by a court interpreter who guarantees that the translation is identical to the original document. With his stamp and signature sworn translator gives the document legal value.

For example, a friend who is excellent in German can help you translate your cover letter. That’s okay because it doesn’t have any legal connotations. It represents your motivation and presentation. But that same friend can’t translate your official transcript of records. That’s the job for a sworn translator.

Key Characteristics of a Certified Translation

As we mentioned above, the main characteristic of a certified translation is that it’s identical to the original text. That includes the original document layout. Of course, any translator should guarantee data confidentiality and a high level of expertise.

Certified translation also includes the attestation statement. That’s where the stamp and signature of the translator come in game. It gives the document legal power.
What also needs to be mentioned is that documents age as well. Sometimes it affects their readability. Since the certified translation is legally binding, all the information has to be true. In this case, a translator may ask you for your help in checking the relevant information.

Language Used in Documents for Certified Translation

A lot of documents that need certified translation contain technical and/or legal vocabulary. That’s why it’s crucial to have a native speaker of the target language as your translator.
Different traditions brought different legal systems. Because of that rules of legal translation can vary depending on the country.

Sometimes it seems that law should be an independent language. A translator needs to know those strict rules and different legal concepts. If the words are poorly chosen, it can raise a doubt in their credibility.
If you need to submit an official document in Switzerland, it needs to be in English, German or French. Otherwise, it will not be accepted. Professional translation services take you one step closer to the desired university.

Consistent Terminology – a Great Asset and Even Greater Value

When working with legal translation, consistency in terminology is a must. Professional translators ensure it by using glossaries. It’s similar to a dictionary with explanations, with words relating to a specific subject. A single word can have multiple meanings, depending on the context.
Also, the word shall in English expresses a legal imperative, not the future. In some languages, we express legal imperative in present tense. A sworn translator needs to know that.
Translation tools and reliable sources provide a faithful translation which is legally admissible and has the evidentiary power.

Are There Any Consequences If My Documents Aren’t Certified?

It does not sound fun to get denied for a visa or to miss a chance for a scholarship because of the translation, right? It can happen if you didn’t get a certified translation of your documents.
Authorities need to know that the document is truthful. To be able to know that, the translation needs to be done by someone who has the qualifications to do it. Someone who has credentials recognized by the state.

Guess who that is. That’s right. The court interpreter or a sworn translator that we’ve already mentioned above. It would be a shame for all your achievements to get rejected. Our friendly advice – don’t risk it.

How Do I Know if I Need a Certified Translation?

If you need to submit a document to some kind of authority or a government body, you probably need a certified translation. Of course, the best thing to do is to ask.
For example, if you’re a student living outside the European Union or ETA and want to study in Switzerland, you need to get a certified translation of your documents. That way you’ll be able to get a residence permit.

The student visa application includes a certificate from the institution you’ll be attending, proof of payment of school fees, a written statement that you will leave Switzerland when the program is finished, and your CV. The most common documents for certified translation are administrative documents such as diplomas and birth certificates; notarial acts and court documents. Depending on the purpose of the document, some authorities request a certified translation of ID cards, CVs, or other documents.

How Much Does Certified Translation Cost and What’s Turnaround Time?

As for any translation, the costs of the certified translations depend on the language pair and volume of the documents.
Request a non-binding quote by sending us a scan of the document and we’ll get in touch with you shortly. We’d be happy to help you embark on this exciting journey called studying abroad!
In the meantime, learn how you can save money on certified translations.

That’s it. You made it through the end. Hopefully, this helped you clarify some things about certified translation. If you have any questions that we haven’t answered, feel free to contact us.
The application process for studying abroad doesn’t have to be so stressful. Just do your research and find the right partners. We’re here if you need us.

Good luck!